Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year! Why, you ask? The delicious food of course! The turkey is always a crowd favorite, but wouldn’t it be great if the side dishes were just as amazing as the turkey itself? We decided to take classic thanksgiving side dishes, and give them a unique and tasty spin. Check them out!
Out of these three, the roasted squash blossom is my personal favorite, not only is it delicious, but it also looks beautiful! Check out the recipe below and try it for your friends and family this thanksgiving!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
- 2 Medium Onions (sliced thin)
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil (divided)
- 2 Delicata Squash
- 2 Large Cloves Garlic (grated)
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Maple Sugar
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Once oil is hot, add onions.
- Cook onions until they are slightly browned and softened. Stir occasionally. This should take about 8-10 minutes. If they are browning too fast, reduce the heat and add a tablespoon of water. You want the onions soft.
- Remove onions from heat when done.
- While onions are cooking, cut the squash in half (lengthwise) and remove the seeds.
- Trim the squash ends and slice into thin half-moons (about ⅛” thick).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spoon onions into 8″ oven proof pan and spread evenly.
- Top onions with sliced Delicata squash pieces. Begin arranging slices skin side up along the outside edge of the pan. Overlap the slices and continue arranging them in circles until you get to the middle and there is no more room to add any more.
- Pour remaining olive oil into a small dish and add the garlic, thyme, salt and black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Brush the herbed oil mixture over top of the squash slices and make sure to coat the surfaces well.
- Lightly sprinkle the top of the dish with maple sugar.
- Slide into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until squash slices have softened to your desired consistency.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.