Mini Apple Crostatas
We are well into fall and apple picking season is in full swing! Your social media is probably filled with posts of your friends and family climbing the trees and bringing home bushels of apples. If you’re on the hunt for the perfect apple picking destination, consider some of our local favorites.
But what do we do with all of these delicious apples? We decided to put a twist on the classic apple pie, and made apple crostatas! These tasty treats are easy to make and go perfect with vanilla ice cream. Yummy desserts like these are really getting all of us here at Capers in the Autumn spirit.
- King Arthur pie dough recipe
- 12 mini (3.5″) cast-iron skillets
- 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 lb. Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2/3 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. coarse sugar
- Divide pie dough into 12 mounds.
- One at a time, roll to 6″ round. Fit into 3.5″ cast-iron skillets, refrigerate. Repeat with remaining dough and skillets.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In 12″ skillet, melt butter on medium-high. Add apples, brown and granulated sugars, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from heat; add cornstarch and lemon juice. Toss to coat.
- Divide filling among mini skillets. Fold edges of dough up and over filling. Brush edges with cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Arrange skillets on 2 cookie sheets. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Can be baked and refrigerated, uncovered, up to one day.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did, Happy Fall everyone!!