Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies
Yesterday we were tinkering with a few gluten free dessert recipes, and we all agreed that these cookies were quite tasty. We are seeing far more gluten free guests this year, and believe it to be the fastest growing dietary restriction.
I originally was given this recipe by a wonderful private chef in Maine this summer.
Flourless Chewy Oatmeal Cookie ~ 1 1/2 dozen
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups certified gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 cup, your choice of mini chocolate cups; finely chopped raisins, finely chopped dried cranberries, dried blueberries, chopped nuts, or a combination
1) Melt the butter and set aside to cool slightly.
2) Place oats in a medium-sized bowl. Stir in both sugars and the salt, blend to break up any lumps.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, vanilla extract, and egg. Add wet ingredients into oat mixture, mix well to combine, and add dried fruit, nuts or chocolate chips. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Form dough into 1 inch balls and place on the cookie sheet, lined with parchment, 2 inches apart. Flatten each ball down very slightly.
5) Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before removing.